For incoming students

Students Erasmus+ Traineeship 

Students interested in doing traineeship and staff interested in participating in the training or conducting didactic classes within the Erasmus+ at the Maj Institute of Pharmacology in Krakow shall:

  • contact the head of the Department/Laboratory where the traineeship will be carried out,
  • after obtaining preliminary consent for the stay the following agreements shall be negotiated and concluded:

- students: Learning Agreement for Traineeships;

- staff: Mobility Agreement – Staff Mobility for Teaching or Mobility Agreement – Staff Mobility for Training).

The document must be signed by all parties before commencing mobility (participant, coordinator from the sending institution, coordinator from IF PAS).

Candidates interested in coming to the Maj Institute of Pharmacology of the Polish Academy of Sciences for the purpose of conducting didactic classes shall ensure that both institutions collaborate with each other within the framework of the Programme (institutional agreement).

After coming to Krakow each participant shall contact International Relations Department to register. Registration requires an identity card (or a passport) and a copy of health insurance.

IF PAS does not provide incoming students/staff with health insurance nor any other form of financing (the participants shall obtain Erasmus+ grant from the sending university/institution).

A person from the receiving institution (a Manager of the Department or an employee from a given Unit) is responsible for the arrival of the staff/student.

Project participants shall communicate in English.


General enquiries shall be sent to: 

Bernadeta Szewczyk:

Marta Borowy:


Visa and health insurance


EU citizens are entitled to cross the Polish border based on a valid travel document (a passport or an identity card).



The Maj Institute of Pharmacology does not provide incoming students with insurance.

Foreign postgraduate and doctoral students are obliged to take out a suitable insurance policy before coming to Poland (personal accident insurance + health insurance).

In the case of students it is recommended to take out insurance supplemented with the work performed and civil liability insurance.


Life in Krakow

Private rooms/apartments

  • The offer of rooms and apartments to rent in Krakow is very rich. Monthly cost ranges between PLN400 and PLN2000, depending on the location, floor area, etc.
  • In the case of looking for accommodation is is worth to contact an apartment rental agency and a job centre run by “Bratniak” Foundation (

 Public transport

The cost of monthly ticket covering bus and tram transit amounts to PLN44,50 (EUR10).
Krakow City Card is a travel card that entitles its holders to use public transport. It can be purchased in ticket outlets run by the Municipal Transport Company (e.g., ul. Podwale 3/5) or prolonged in each ticket machine. schedules, tickets – a mobile phone app is a popular Polish website and a mobile app that searches for the most convenient connections using public transport.

The website is also available in English. You can use a web browser or install an app on a mobile device.


Cash can be withdrawn from an ATM but some banks charge a fee for such operation.

ATMs are located at each bank and almost every street.

Most shops accept credit card payment but some require clients to do the shopping for the amount exceeding PLN10.


Opening a bank account in Poland

To open a bank account in Poland it is necessary to show an identity document with a photo (a passport or an identity card).

Having a Polish bank account is not necessary in the case of stay that does not exceed 3 months. In the case of a longer stay, it is recommended to open an account.